Port George IV Mission began in 1912 at Walcott Inlet in the West Kimberleys, but by 1913 was located at Port George IV. It was run by the Presbyterian Church. Children living on the mission were under the guardianship of the head of the departments responsible for Aboriginal welfare, but they lived with their families. In 1920 the Mission moved to Kunmunya and took its name from that place. In 1951, residents at Kunmunya and Munja Aboriginal Cattle Station agreed relocate together to Wotjulum Mission
The letter describes the fashioning of spear heads with kangaroo bone by the Wororra tribe
There is also a description of a "body-belt" of kangaroo fur string featuring a shell ornament at the back. It is worn by both men and women
Shells are also used as ornaments and worn as a pendant around the neck and hanging down the back
Noses are often pierced through the septum with a variety of objects including plain bone, a piece of stick, grass or the furry centre of a banksia flower
Describing the Wororra tribe, Love says: "The physique of this tribe is magnificent, exceptional even among Australian tribes."
Wilfred Backhouse Alexander (4 February 1885 – 8 December 1965) was an English ornithologist and entomologist. After graduation he stayed in Cambridge for a short time working as assistant superintendent of the Cambridge University Museum of Zoology and a
He moved to Australia in early 1912 to take up the position which he held for three years before being made Keeper of Biology at the museum. He made a number of expeditions to collect material for the museum including the Percy Sladen Trust Expedition to
James Robert Beattie Love (1889-1947), clergyman and missionary, was born on 16 June 1889 at Lislaird, Killeter, Tyrone, Ireland, fifth child of Rev. George Clarke Love and his wife Margaret Georgina, née Beattie. When he was five months old the family mi
PDF available for WAM staff only.
See: File A13-73-1 Anthropology - Aboriginal cultural materials